Sunday, August 22, 2010

Poem: Trek

Trek

Where the clothing of expectation illy fit
An outcast self-made
I can walk alone
And do

Seem as society’s freak
Dancing to the drumbeat of the land’s rhythms
I will risk all to find all
And do

This is me
This is us
Listen
I am home
I am free

In the freedom comes understanding
And home is not so far away
Or confining now

As death takes me
Vision clears to fulfillment and peace
I can close these eyes having lived
And do

Copyright SGW 2010

Footnote: Inspired by John Krakauer’s book “Into the Wild” and Chris McCandless’s journey to life. This author would note that the poem should not be misconstrued as a calling to anyone to put their life at risk in the way that McCandless did. There are better ways to grow, learn and experience. Careful consideration, caution and wise steps are recommended.

3 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

Really liked this, Scott - don't you love writing those reactionary pieces? I find them hard to contain.

Did you know that recently a young man tried to find the site of McCandless's death and ended up dying himself, in the process? It was in the news just last week, I believe.

Kat

Kat Mortensen said...

P.S. Jon Krakauer's book, "Into Thin Air" is also excellent. I HAVE read that one.

STP said...

Yes, I do love that. I explode with words. Quite fun. I did know about the kid who died. Two of them tried to cross the river and one got swept away.

I will have to remember that book. Thanx.