Monday, February 11, 2008

Poem: Of The Waterfall

I stood on the rocks of Raymondskill Falls in northeastern Pennsylvania, having climbed a fence blocking my way. There I was, alone, only a few feet to the right of the falls below and a simple stone's throw away from the falls in the picture shown. There I stood, with poetry pad, pen and my thoughts. I looked at the amazing power of the falls, and noticed a trickling stream of water along the left-hand side that flowed alone, its own way, until meeting again at the calmed pool of its destiny. And so I wrote ...

* One should read this poem as follows: For verses 1 through 4 and 7 read normally. For verses 5 and 6, alternate lines from the left (metaphor) and the right (literal). Performing this piece requires two people.

Of the Waterfall

Power-filled, majestic waterfall,
Strength built,
In time spilt.

Eroded, beaten rockied walls,
Stripped away,
Years’ decay.

Busied paths, descending bodies,
All as one,
Since dawn’s begun.

Two secluded, gentle streams apart,
Trickle down alone,
Their own path known.


Who I am in truth imparted, ---------Flowing through diverted routes,
This is me,
-------------------------------Slowly strewn,
Least how I see.
--------------------------Paralleled, in tune.

Passing by the beaten track,
----------To be found once more in opened pools,
Quiet defined,
----------------------------Back in whole,
With peace of mind.
---------------------Having served its role.

Replaced to subtly coexist,
No persona lost,
Just water tossed.

Copyright SGW 1997

10 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

There is great wisdom in this piece, Scott. What's better than the combined elegance of the two streams. Seeing the joy in the combination requires selflessness and unself-consciousness, to be sure. And yet it's possible and it happens. What a wonderful poem. I have never seen one written like this. I like it. I like the simultaneous, parallel thoughts that mirror the flow of the streams.

Anonymous said...

I agree with everything in the previous comment. Beautifully written.

Kat Mortensen said...

Beautiful - perfect choice of words, structure (concrete) and tone. This should be published if it has not already.
Kat

I'm still waiting for the poem that is less than fine.

Anonymous said...

I feel as if I'm in the rushing current of water.

STP said...

Thanks to all. I have always taken a bit of pride in this one for its uniqueness. Plus, as this particular spot, Raymondskills Falls, is my favorite spot, the poem became kind of a tribute to that.

Kat, you are too kind. Perhaps I will write a poem called "A Poem Less Than Fine." Hmm.

Anonymous said...

Scott, this poem almost feels like a beat poem when read aloud. Love the rhythm and how it shifts 4th stanza to grow quieter and less rushed. Wonderful job.

Leanderthal, Lighthouse Keeper said...

What a thoughtful writing!

It also transported me back to the 1950's in Connecticut when I used to visit Devil's Den a few mile north of Fairfield where I lived.

Like you waterfall, it's waterfall brought interesting thoughts to mind.

You might enjoy a small gathering of stuff at thethirstymuse.blogspot.com.

STP said...

Glad I could bring emotions and memories to you with this piece.

I will look at that site, too!

Leanderthal, Lighthouse Keeper said...

Scot,

Is your blog registered with Blog Village?

It's another way to get some attention.

STP said...

Thank you. I will look into it ASAP.