Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Wisdom of a Cat

My cat, Boo, likes to slip under the covers in my bed when I am not in it and nap the day away in the center of my mattress. Strangely, when I am in the bed, he taps me on the chin with his paw, waits for me to lift the blanket and then goes under - sometimes. On other occasions, he just wants to make sure "it" is still there, I guess. But I digress.

Earlier this evening, he was having one of his many naps (ah, to be a cat!), so I decided to sneak under the blankets with him to see what the big deal was. We sat nose to nose; him trying to figure out who invited the human. Strangely, it was peaceful; a hidden, removed place, where the big, bad world seemed somewhere faraway. I shared this space with Boo until I got too warm, but the safeness of the spot remains etched in my mind.

Now I understand, Boo, now I understand.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liam likes to do the same. They know more than we give them credit for knowing.

Crafty Green Poet said...

cat's are very wise and yours is also very cute in that photo!

STP said...

Boo says thank you. Actually, he said MEOW, and that might have been because I am not petting him, so ... anyway, you're right; he is adorable and he has total control of this home!

Kat Mortensen said...

Our Daisy (who looks very much like Boo) does something similar. Each night at bedtime, she arrives on the pillow and waits for the covers to be lifted. She insinuates her way in, turns 'round and tucks into my husband's armpit, where she treads like a baby at the mother's teat. This is a nightly ritual.
In the morning, she reappears on my pillow and touches the side of my face with her cold, wet nose-trilling with the wee voice she has. I, of course, let her in and she snuggles into my armpit for the tread.
Kat

STP said...

Boo says "MEOW" to Daisy.