Friday, October 7, 2005

Holidays

It occurred to me today, as someone who devoutly believes in God, but subscribes to no religion, that I am missing out on holidays. This is not fair! With my Jewish friends having just had off for Rosh Hashanah and next week again for Yom Kippur, and with Christians always having Christmas and Easter, it somehow seems like I am coming up on the short end of the stick.

How to alleviate this problem. Hmm. Ok, well, I've got Festivus. I also celebrate a generic, December holiday season as I get into the spirit. But alas, we need more for those of us who are religionless. We need days we can take off from work and have sales in the malls.

What do you think? I am laying claim to Thanksgiving so that covers November. Something in the spring would be nice. Maybe an event in July or August, too. This requires more thought.

No comments: